Thursday, April 27, 2006

stuff in the mail

got a package of the records I ordered from Fashionable Idiots Records yesturday.

Formaldehyde Junkies- s/t

The Formaldehyde Junkies are from MN, and play some straight up old school hardcore punk. Sound if pretty lo-fi, which isn't an issue for me, I welcome it frankly. A lot of bands as they evolve and put out more records seem to pay more attention to sound quality, not these guys. The recording may even be more rough than their first 7" on Firestarter Records. This one picks up where the last one left off with their Fix influenced early 80's midwest scene sound. The record clocks in under 3 minutes for 4 songs, so it's over before you have the chance to tie your shoe (which I discovered this morning).

Chronic Seizure- "Brain Sick"

Chronic Seizure i really didn't know much about before, but figured I'd give it a shot since I was ordering from the label anyway. The band has members of 14 or Fight, who I liked from their 7" on Lengua Armada. Sound-wise it's sort of similar to the FJs old school hardcore approach, but the vocals are a lot rougher. I like it a lot, and it came on green vinyl, which I don't see all that often. It's fun to take a chance on new bands...

I also saw the Ergs, Modern Machines, and the Measure in New Brunswick, NJ last night. The Ergs are one of the best current bands, they're always tight and write some awesome tunes. The Modern Machines really impressed me, it was my first time seeing them and my only referance for them was their split with the Ergs. Real good poppy punk rock, they even did an Ergs cover. I wish i had more cash to pick up some of their music. The Measure played first, and I missed all but the last 3 songs. I liked what I heard, and bands with girl singers always tend to catch my attention. I'd definately check them out again.

Hopefully, I'll be seeing Kylesa and Victims in Philly Friday. Victims blew me away when I saw them at Pointless Fest 2004 summers ago. My show's all booked, I'll be posting a flyer and a full run-down soon.

No comments: