Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Record Scores: Cro Mags- Age of Quarrel

So a lot of people will tell stories of finding pretty decent records in thrift store, but I don't think you'll find a better thrift store hardcore story than this. So when I was unemployed, I made it a point to go the Goodwill in town every Monday. They would have put out all of the good stuff from the weekend, and everything was 25% off. A lot of days I turned up with nothing, but one day as I'm walking out I see what looks to be a somewhat punk layout. It turns out to be Anti-Nowhere League's "we Are The League" LP. Cool, so I keep digging, hoping for a deposit of punk records. I find some mediocre 80's metal, a Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) solo record, an old Posh Boy Records comp I'd never heard of and The Adolescents' laughably bad "Balboa Fun Zone" LP. Then I come across the holy grail, a copy of the Cro-Mags' "Age of Quarrel" LP! This record had been out of print until recently, and was an early pressing with the CENSORED sleeve art. Unfortunately the corner was cut off, which indicated that it was a promo copy originally. Still it was in amazing condition. I went to the register and asked how much the records were, and the cashier said $1, though with the sale- 75 cents each. I quickly went back and grabbed the Posh Boy comp, the Adolescents and Anti-Nowhere League LPs as well. So there it is, the story of how I got a copy of "Age of Quarrel" for 75 cents.

No comments: