Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Punk Will Never Die for Artificial Dissemination 2

PHANTOM HAND is doing a show based around propaganda posters called "Artificial Dissemination 2: Propaganda to Popaganda." For this, I chose to use an image of the detained punks in Indonesia. If you're not familiar with the story, Indonesian police raided a punk fest, and put all of the punks in a camp to convert them to Islam, after a week in the camp, a reporter was there and one of the punks exclaimed "Punk will never die!" I felt that was a good rally call for them, and this story hasn't gotten much coverage. I actually don't know if they're still in the camps or not.
The painting was done in my usual spray paint and stencil style, on a 13"x19" poster frame. I sprayed the black, then taped off the border, so that the square in the center would be crisp. Unfortunately since I had to spray the white letters like 5 times, there was some overspray. I then re-assembled the frame, so it looks more like a framed poster, but is indeed an original.

Artificial Dissemination 2: Propaganda to Popaganda Opening Reception
Phantom Hand Gallery
604 South Street, Philadelphia, PA
Friday, January 27, 2012

UPDATE: SOLD
6:00pm until 12:00am

No comments: