Sunday, April 21, 2013

Corey Webster for Righteous Rides show

 Hero Complex has another show, this one with a central theme of transportation in movies. I decided to do a skateboard based on the classic cheesy 80's movie, THRASHIN'! In the movie, the main character dreams of being a professional skateboarder, and dreams of having his own deck. My idea was to basically make that deck, based on the illustration he shows in the movie, and the Smash Skates logo. Unfortunately I didn't have access to an 80s shaped deck, but it came out rad. I'd had this idea in the back of my head for a while, and I'm glad this show came along to give me the proper motivation to get it done.
I did all of the artwork without any stencils, but instead cutting out little tape masks (based on my original vector artwork), and positioning them on the board before painting. This allowed for a lot more detail to stay crisp. I also upgraded my tape to the green Frogtape for this.
"Righteous Rides...And the Dudes Who Drive Them!" - A show focusing on prominent characters of fiction and their often creative ways of getting around!
From skateboards to spaceships, anything that rolls, races, flies, or crashes can be counted in this high-throttled, tour de force that celebrates your favorite modes of transportation and the characters who drive them!

Opening Reception:
May 3rd, 2013 - Los Angeles

http://www.herocomplexgallery.com

No comments: