Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Custom Tripus toy

I had gotten this clear Tripus by Max Toy Co. a while ago, and kind of stared at it, not wanting to ruin it until I had the right idea. It's about 9" tall, and has 7 parts. I based the colors off the Kraken from the old Clash of the Titans movie. After taking it apart, I noticed that the face tentacles were glued on, and not a part of the head. I had to cut a hole, and use a straw to paint the inside. Once I painted the inside green, I made masks out of tape on the chest and legs for the gold spray paint. I was a little worried, since the vinyl is a little different than what I'm used to, but the paint stayed perfectly. For the arms and top of the legs I went a little more free form, and did a more Kaiju style spray. For the face, I used a gold paint marker for the horns and eyes. Once painted, I went over it all with a black rub technique. This really brought out a lot of hiding detail, especially in the scales. I couldn't be happier with how this came out.
More pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleedingedges/sets/72157627161316251

No comments: