Monday, November 08, 2010

Mermaid painting for A Sailors Grave

Here is my piece for the "A Sailor's Grave" art show @ the Sailor Jerry Store, opening Friday (11/12) at 8. I wanted to do something that had Sailor Jerry's simplistic detail, and used the traditional tattoo colors of black, green and red. I sketched out what I wanted to do, then broke out 3 stencils for each color. Rather than using solid colors, I went over areas, then added light sprays of black for shading. I think it has a lot more depth than my usual work. Once that was done, I went drew in the detail with a fine point paint marker. I'm extremely excited for this show, and I hope to see a lot of familiar faces at the opening.
FUN FACT: we originally wanted the show to be called "Booze, Broads, and Boats," but SJ decided to change it.

I couldn't be more excited about this, as Allyssa and I co-curated this show. Please come, drink some free rum and check out what I"m sure will be some amazing artwork!

UPDATE: Some photos from the opening can be found HERE.

No comments: