Sunday, May 07, 2006

last weekend's used bin scores

I went to my favorite NJ record store, Curmudgeon Records last weekend to peruse the used vinyl bins and drop off some flyers. Here's what I found:


Scare Tactic- s/t
Didn't know anything about them, seemed cool and was a buck. I think what sold me on it was that they're from Canada and the guitar player had a Siege shirt on. It's actually really really good fast lo-fi recorded hardcore. Almost a Dropdead quality to it. I could be wrong, but I think the guitar player is now in Career Suicide. The 7" is from around 2000, and I'd be interested to know more about this band.


the Pist / Brutally Familiar- "Small Town Justice"
I've loved the Pist for a long time, and always had trouble finding their vinyl, (anybody wanna trade me a Destroy Society 7"?). Apparently a discography CD is in the works, which should be awesome. This 7" has their own brand of intelligent street punk that I love from the other records that I love. There's even a version of "Small Town" that I assume predates the version on "Ideas Are Bulletproof." Brutally Familiar are more along the lines of faster almost crust-ish hardcore. I mainly bought it for the Pist side, but the Brutally Familiar side will get some more spins. Great deal for a buck.


V/A- Reproach: 8 modern bands covering Negative Approach
The title pretty much says it all, although the bands aren't very modern anymore. Some good ones like Dropdead, Spazz, Voorhees, Man is the Bastard, and others do pretty good versions on NA. I always kinda thought NA was kinda overrated, good yes, but not in the league of Minor Threat and Black Flag. This one was 3 bucks, but it's way out of print. Overally a good haul for 5 bucks total.

No comments: